Lenora's First Law of Picture-Taking: the carpet never seems especially dirty/cluttered until you photograph yourself standing on it.
I'm pretty proud of how this dress came together; I really managed to nail the fit, I think. Especially in the far right photo there (the side view)--between my boobs and my belly and my super (worryingly?) curvy spine, I am super three-dimensional in the abdomen, and sometimes I have a ton of trouble with fitting. Like, things will look fine head-on, but at any other angle there gets to be a "ye Gods" factor...does this happen to anyone else?
Part of the reason the fit was great was that I took the time to make a muslin--which was of course worth it either way, but then I also made some of that time back by taking the shortcut of making my lining out of my muslin! I was considering playing it off like I premeditated this as an efficiency measure but in fact I just sort of...decided my muslin was close enough to my final fit and I was too lazy to cut and sew up another lining? The lining I had put aside would have been a poppier color contrast, but the teal coordinates okay, and why not conserve the fabric (and therefore the $7 or whatever it cost) for the next one?
My style alterations in the end were as follows: I shortened (and neglected to gather) the sleeves, used three contrasting fabrics for the skirt, bodice and details, made the tie belt a sewn-on, faux-button belt, and did an exposed zipper. I suppose technically I altered the skirt length too, but that was really an alteration through inaction--I just never bothered to lengthen the skirt like I needed to (I am five nine, guys, patterns are too short!)
The blue fabric is somewhere between these shades, but closer to the color on the right. It's so bright! I love bright!
I had a bunch of wild ideas as I went through, like making a set of detachable contrast collars and cuffs in different styles, or creating skirt interest using the scallop detail from the Meringue skirt (as an inset, not a hemline!), but in the end they all seemed waaay too much/busy/ambitious. Besides, I wanted to keep the look of the dress baaasically as designed. It wasn't my favorite pattern when I first got the book (I don't really wear A-liney skirts, and those sleeves! Gah!), so I really consider part of the sewalong challenge to have been making it my own without making it unrecognizable, if that makes sense. And I do like how it turned out quite a lot!